Yesterday I discovered the Deepak went through that entire program associated with his new book on PBS. This amazing man is giving the secrets away for free and I was blessed enough to see it on my guide channel and DVR it. So I decided to take the time to watch it and take notes so I could put it out there for all of you who may have missed it. Please see the bottom of the post for other air times of this amazing event.
You are only hungry for two reasons
- Your body needs nourishment
- You are feeling empty and hungry for something else such as; love, social connection, balance and purpose
This program can be summed by being self-aware. Self awareness means the ability to observe yourself without judging yourself. This includes your body, your mind, and your spirit.
Yummy emotions-Emotions that feed our bodies, minds, and spirit and promote good healthy
Yucky emotions-Emotions that feed out body with stress and tension. These emotions contribute to imbalance and poor health.
We do not want to repress any emotion as all emotions are messages from our body and must be paid attention to. However, study show that if we have more of the yummy emotions we are less likely to become ill or develop stress related diseases. Therefore, even if we eat badly we should not ridicule or shame ourselves but instead love and have compassion for ourselves. Eat with conscious awareness and regularly ask yourself; What are you hungry for?
Steps to a mind-body approach to weight-loss
- Feel your body-be aware of any discomfort or strain
- Observe your emotions without denial or judgement-take responsibility for how you feel
- Make better choices and reverse the ones that haven’t been so good
Move toward the yummy emotions and away from the yucky. The more aware you become of yourself the easier it becomes to make the right choices to support those emotions. You will notice that willpower is forced and does not work.
Whenever you feel hungry;
- Stop and feel your body
- Ask yourself How hungry am I?
- If you are physically hungry find out your hunger level. Rate it from 1-10
- 1 you are famished
- 2-3 you are hungry
- 4-6 you are satisfied
- 7-9 you are uncomfortably full
- 10 you are stuffed
Eat when you are in the 2-3 mode and stop when you are in the 4-6 mode. Make this a habit. After 21 days of doing this it will become a habit. If you have a hard time doing this then you are hungry for something else. Something emotional.
Seven Levels of Emotional Needs
- Comfort, security, and safety
- Love and affection
- A sense of belonging
- Accomplishment, success, achievement
- Creative expression
- To have meaning and purpose in your life
If these needs are not being met you will fill the void with addictive foods. If you attend to all your emotional needs you will not feel compelled to fill the emptiness with food.
Your mental activity which consist of thoughts, emotions, feeling, and intentions influences everything in your body including the self repair mechanisms.
Asking yourself what you are hungry for and finding the true nourishment for that specific type of hunger emotional or spiritual emptiness not just food will help change the devastating statistic of 70% of all people being overweight or obese.
Obesity leads to increased risk of
- Heart attacks
- Several types of cancer
- Increased risk of inflammation and diabetes
What to eat
Eat real whole fresh foods with minimal processing. Processed foods is the leading cause of obesity. When we eat them we crave more never finding the satisfaction we crave.
Avoid FLUNC foods
Nucked or microwaved
Choose the freshest foods available.
The Six Tastes to include in every meal
Sweet include; (build tissues and calm nerves) Whole grains, Starchy vegetables, Dairy, Meat, Chicken, Fish, Honey, Molasses **Sweet never means refined sugar. Refined sugar should be avoided at all costs.
Sour include; (slow the emptying of the stomach) Citrus Fruits, Berries, Tomatoes, Pickled foods, Vinegar
Salt include; (Stimulate digestion) Table salt, Soy sauce, Salted meats, and Fish **in moderation
Bitter include; (anti-inflammatory and disease fighting properties) Green leafy vegetables, Kale, Celery, Broccoli, Sprouts, Beets
Pungent include; (Stimulate digestion and metabolism) Peppers, Chillies, Onions, Garlic, Cayenne, Curry, Turmeric, Black pepper , Cloves, Ginger, Mustard
Astringent include; (absorb water and tighten our tissues) Lentils, Beans, Green apples, Grape skins, Cauliflower, Pomegranates, Tea, and Coffee
Eat the seven colors of the rainbow. Foods with deep rich colors are filled with antioxidants and vital nutrients.
Red includes; Raspberries, Apples, Cherries, Strawberries, Pomegranates, Tomatoes, Watermelon, Pink grapefruit, Papayas, Red bell peppers, Chili peppers
Orange includes; Oranges, Melons, Mangoes, Apricots, Sweet potatoes, Carrots
Yellow includes; Lemon, Banana, Pineapple, Peaches, Yellow squash, Corn, Yellow bell pepper
Green includes; Kiwi, Apples, Lime, Spinach, Lettuce, chard, Arugula, kale, Swiss collards, Broccoli, Artichokes, Asparagus, Celery, Avocado, Zucchini, Brussels sprouts, Green peas
Blue and Purple include; Blueberries, Purple grapes, Red cabbage, Beets, Eggplants, Plums
White include; Pears, Coconuts, Onions, Garlic, Cauliflower, Parsnips, Rutabagas
Eating the six tastes and the seven colors of the rainbow will give your body the healthiest nutrients available on the planet.
Coping with cravings
First and foremost ask yourself What am I hungry for? Use this as a mantra. This phrase will act as a reminder to eat consciously. If you make this a practice you will rewire your brain.
An awareness recall method
Sit comfortably, touch your thumb to your forefinger. Every time you feel a craving for food make this hand gesture. It is called a moodra. As you hold this hand gesture let it trigger the questions earlier mentioned. What am i hungry for? Am I famished? Am I full? Am I comfortable? Am I uncomfortable? Am I stuffed? Am I hungry for something else such as; attention, creativity, love, appreciation, or acceptance? Make this a habit.
- Begin the day with a light breakfast. It takes at least three hours to digest a meal. You don’t want to put another meal in your stomach until the first meal is digested.
- Eat your largest meal at lunch. Because your digestive powers are strongest at mid-day.
- Eat a light dinner early in the evening. No later than 6 o’clock
Eat in moderation. If you cup your hands together with fingers touching to create a bowl. You are supposed to eat two times this amount at each meal. It is important to leave 1/3 of your stomach empty at each meal to optimize digestion.
Activities that counter stress
- Physical activity
- Paying attention to your breathing (remember that all of the stress we carry is a result of our mind wandering into the past or the future)
The deepest hunger we have is for happiness and spiritual fulfillment
Happiness is the goal of all other goals. Everything we do in life is to achieve happiness.
The Happiness Formula; H = S + C + V
Happiness=Set point in the brain+Conditions of living+Voluntary Choices
Set point in the brain which determines how naturally happy you are is equal to 40%-50% of our overall happiness
Conditions of living which is how we live and what we have is equal only to 7%-12% of our overall happiness
Voluntary Choices refers to how we spend our time. How we relate to others. What kind of entertainment we choose, and out choices about exercise, nutrition and so on. is equal to 40%-50% of our overall happiness
The Soul; The nonjudgmental awareness or observer of your body and mind and also of itself. The still presence within you is your soul.
Qualities of the soul
- It is a field of infinite potential or possibilities
- It is infinitely creative
- It is a field of correlation. It connects everything that is happening in your body mind system.
- It is where the power of choice and intention reside.
When you learn to anchor yourself in the soul you are actually returning home.
Health is a return to your essential state of wholeness or pure being.
We are Human beings first, human feelings second, human thinkings third and human doings last. In that order but if you look around at people you will see them doing this in reverse. Unconsciously doing, frenzied thinking, anxious feeling, and lose sight of our inner most being.
Ways to get in touch with your source (soul)
- Meditation-ask yourself; Who am I? What is my purpose? What do I want? What am I grateful for? You don’t have to get the answers right away. If you live the question life will move you in the direction of the answers. Remember in every scripture it says, ask and you shall receive.
- Enhance your experience of love. The best way to enhance your experience of love is to give love to everyone you encounter in the form of attention, appreciation and affection.
- Intellect; the scientific approach. Ask yourself how the universe works? How everything is connected to everything else?
- Take meaningful action. This is known as Karmic yoga. Do what is right by other people. Make choices as though you are banking good karma
The body is not a thing it is not a noun it is a verb, an activity, a process. It is a river of change. It is ever transforming. By the way you think, feel, and behave can influence your genes. In other words you are not your body but it’s creator.
The body you are looking at today is the product of your past experiences. If you want to change the way your body looks, change your experiences now. Now is the moment of power.
So there you have it. This man has given us all of the information to his program the Chopra Solution for free. It is on again on PBS on December 9th at 5 am and December 13th at 9 am. Set your DVR and don’t miss it. I feel empowered and ready to make the necessary changes to put my weight issues behind me. I have it DVR’d and intend on watching it as many times as necessary to make this a habit.
I have to say thank you to Deepak for his incredible insight and generosity for helping not only me but PBS in the process.